Sunday, July 11, 2010

Yes Michele I have more than three pairs of underwear! Hahaha I agree that I would be in a much more disgusting state if that weren't the case... Anyway yesterday I had my day off of working - we get one day off a week - and it was so nice to relax! I went to the spa at a nearby resort with another German girl named Julia, and I got an hour long Thai massage for only 600 baht, which is like $25. It was awesome, they cracked all my fingers and toes and my whole back... pretty different than massages in America and more similar to a chiropractor, but I loved it!

Later last night we went on an elephant safari through the national park that is really close to the center, and it was really cool to see some wild elephants through the bush, since the ones at the center are not in their natural condition. It's a bummer but the elephants we're working with can pretty much never go back into the wild, since they have this process called "breaking the spirit" here in Thailand that they put all elephants through before they can be used commercially. A huge male elephant who definitely still had his "spirit" charged us in the truck last night, and this guy Chris and I jumped to the other side of the pickup and probably missed being decapitated by less than a foot!

Today was a really busy day - three of the elephant volunteers left and we got new ones tonight, but there were only five of us to work with all the elephants, so we were running around all day and I'm totally pooped. Also, June, who has only been at the center for a week now and is extremely malnourished and covered in wounds, was lying on the ground this morning and couldn't get up... a couple of us had to spend most of the day peeling soft foods to give her and we hooked her up to an IV in the animal hospital at the center - I really hope she gets better soon! I wish I could post pictures but I'm documenting everything so that you'll be able to see all the animals and people I'm talking about when I get home! Miss everyone a ton - only five more days at the center before heading down to Koh Tao for some scuba! Wahooo :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erin Baby!,
    I am so glad to hear that the bull elephant chose some native plants to squish instead of you. Sounds like you are having a pile of a good time.
    The French never do their share (WWI, WWII, etc.)
    thank goodness for your Australian and German friends! I am very envious of your adventure, but I am not wishing to experience the crazy work load you have to. When you come home I will treat you to a great massage in LG. I miss you tons, have a great week.
    Love,
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIP HIP!! i am so pleased to hear that miss mcclanahan. i am also very happy to hear that you narrowly escaped getting run over by elephants cuz that would be very tragic indeed. the massage sounds fantastic, i am quite jealous and will probably make you give me one when we are reunited. i get more excited at that prospect by the day! i love you and keep posting cuz i love checking the blog out. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI ERIN OUR LOVE!
    WE READ YOUR BLOG EVERY DAY EVERYTHING IS SO INTERESTING WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE, YOU WRITE SO WELL KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH LOTS OF HARD WORK.WE ARE SO ANXIOUS TO SEE YOUR PHOTOS AND HEAR ALL THE STORIES! WE MISS YOU SOOO MUCH! TAKE CARE! GOD BLESS ALL YOU ARE DOING YOU ARE SO SPECIAL!LOVE NANA&PAPA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally thought June was a person the first time I read this and I was like whaaa?? im so jealous of you, you seem like youre being amazing as usual :] i miss you beyond belief so hurry up and have your adventures and come back to meee!

    ReplyDelete