Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fig Bars

A few weeks ago, I made this fig challah from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook... I was planning on doing a blog post about that, because it was supposed to be really pretty, but it turns out that tying bread in beautiful knots takes a skill that I don't have!  Then the bottom got a bit burnt and it just wasn't that good.  BUT I still had a bunch of figs leftover, so today was the day to redeem the fig baking project!  I wanted to make a homemade version of fig newtons, so I looked up some recipes and kinda just made my own little version.  Turned out REALLY tasty.  Here's the recipe :)

For the doughy part...
Whisk together
1 1/2 cup oats
1 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
then stir together with
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg

For the figgy part...
Bring to a boil, simmer until most of the liquid is gone, then blend in a food processor.
1 cup chopped black mission figs
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
A bit of orange zest

Once you have that, lay down a layer using about half of the "dough"in a square baking dish. Press it down a bit, smear the fig filling on top, and top it with the other half of the dough.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Deliciousssssss.


1 comment: